I have been very neglectful of this blog lately, mostly because I have been exhausted from work but also because I have just been lazy. Starting July 18th, however, you might be hearing even less from me… Is that possible? I’m going to venture to say yes. Basically, long story short, David and I don’t seem to be able to find a good job, work for a year, and go home. My school, Gangbuk CIS, is doing some “restructuring” to put it nicely, and I am being required to take over a kindergarten class without getting any of my other classes taken from me. This basically comes down to me working from 9:30 am to 7:20pm straight (minus a lunch break), Monday through Friday. That is 42.5 teaching hours a week. It is going to suck…
However, I have had a few days to digest this information and decided to look at this a good opportunity and not a something that will steal my sanity. Here is my list of reasons why this is a good thing.
1) I get to teach a kindergarten class. I might be eating my words in a couple weeks but, honestly, I am really excited to teach a kindergarten class. When I signed my contract, that is what I thought I would be doing. This will be my chance to experience this age group in my own classroom, with my rules, and my teaching. Plus they are so darn cute.
2) More specifically, I get to teach Dolphin Class. Dolphin Class at my school had 8ish adorable, really smart, mostly well-behaved six-year olds. It is their second year at CIS so their English is already pretty dang good. Dolphin class was always one of my favorite classes to teach in Activity Room because they are consistently awesome! If I had to choose one of the kindergarten classes, it would be that one.
3) No more Activity Room. I was not a fan of teaching activity room. I liked teaching a couple of the classes but most of them were really crazy and hard to control. The hardest part though was coming up with activities each month. The activity room is a small space filled with toys and slides. I have to keep the kids doing an activity for 25 minutes before they can play. This is not an easy task. I am glad I will be done with it.
4) I will get paid more. Not a lot more, not enough to make all the hours “worth it”. But still more. I have realized that I need to start saving more money and this will help.
5) I already almost work this many hours anyways. I usually come in by 10:30 everyday already so I only need to add one hour extra AND I will be getting paid for it. Right now I am at work a million hours and don’t get paid for it… so yeah… might as well throw another class at me.